ADSM-L

Re: 3590 compression ratio

1999-06-18 16:32:25
Subject: Re: 3590 compression ratio
From: Steve Fletcher <sfletcher AT GIANTOFMARYLAND DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 16:32:25 -0400
We are using 3590 B11's and the 10 gig (raw) tapes.   Tape capacities have run
from 12 gig to 25 gig.  Originally, I was using 3490E tape and I wasn't getting
the 3:1 compression IBM touted. When I quizzed them on the numbers the reply was
that data from distributed platforms doesn't compress the same as mainframe
based data.  The newer 3590 drives may be more efficient at compression.
Something I hope to find out in the next few months when these B11's are
upgraded.

Reinhold Wagner <rwagner AT ZEUNASTAERKER DOT DE> on 06/18/99 04:13:02 PM