ADSM-L

Re: Management Class Policy.

1999-06-18 15:23:45
Subject: Re: Management Class Policy.
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:23:45 -0500
     Well, I'd make your scheduled activity :
     Mon-Sat : Incremental
     Sun     : Archive

     You could do a
     Mon-Sat : incremental
     Sun     : selective
     BUT backups are designed to work with VERSIONS... a selective says
     BACK IT UP EVEN IF IT HASN'T CHANGED...
        THUS if a file say only changes once a year, the normal adsm
     incremental processing would give you "version" number of years you
     could go back... if you keep 7 active versions, you could go back 7
     years.  IF you force backup via selective processing after 7 weeks you
     would only have the current year's data (but 7 copies of the same
     thing be it good data or bad)

     I'd do the incremental/arhcive way if you are going to do it at all.

     probably require 3 schedules  (1) a weekday incremental schedule (2) a
     Saturday incremental schedule (3) a Sunday archive schedule (and would
     need to list objects & override client option with -subdir=yes

     1st I'd really ask myself why I'd be subjecting the networks to such
     load (not to mention the ADSM server) and using so much adsm server
     storage.

     Dwight