ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restores Without a Recovery Partition

1999-06-17 13:13:57
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restores Without a Recovery Partition
From: Wes Lewison <WesLewison AT WINN-DIXIE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:13:57 -0400
You don't want to use the same computer name, if you do and join the domain
your SID will be different from the backuped machine.

Use something like "Recover" or "NtRecover", you don't want to mess with
anything that has to do with the old system.

Also do not install nt into the same directory that the backuped machine
is... usually it defaults to \WINNT, don't install there... make a dir
called \RESCUE or something so that when you actually do the restore you
won't have problems with open files and registries.  Then when you have the
workstation restored you can erase that directory without worrying about
anything.  After you are done restoring you have to follow the instructions
on getting the registry back in the right place.

Note: After you've restored, do not try it out just yet... edit the boot.ini
and readd the recovery boot info (in case the restore doesn't take you can
get back into a working copy of NT rather easily)

I have done this and it works... I also have used a JAZZ scsi drive as a
external HD and restored any node I want without reinstalling NT... just
have to set the SCSI card to boot from the JAZZ ID.

Email me if you have ANY questions.

-Wes
WesLewison AT Winn-Dixie DOT com
WesLewison AT Winn-Dixie DOT com