ADSM-L

Re: Backup stgpool fails

1999-06-17 08:54:59
Subject: Re: Backup stgpool fails
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:54:59 +0100
hi Bob,

No, presently it is not possible to do what you want!  And if folks
keep asking then someday we might start to get some of these very
desirable features.

Also, "Bazuin, R. (Ronald)" <Ronald.Bazuin AT NL.FORTIS DOT COM> suggested:

"For that reason whe have 5 drives so 1 drive will always be available
for restore."

...  but sadly if 2 or 3 such restores occur then you still have a
potential problem here.  The answer is in giving the proper controls
to the administrator and in this case :

1) The word pre-empt should mean interrupt and then resume and not
   abort.

2) It should be possible to partition resources so that the system
   management tasks can be accomplished in a sane manner whilst making
   provision for client activities.

For information, you can submit (or concur with an existing) DCRs via
your IBM Account Manager (not sure what you do if you run on non-IBM
kit?).  It is my understanding that pretty well most suggestions (such
as these) are most likely to already be on the Requirements Database

Regards, Sheelagh
Sheelagh Treweek                   Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek                   Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services           Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK           Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275