ADSM-L

Re: A question on Databases.

1999-06-17 02:05:43
Subject: Re: A question on Databases.
From: Chris De Bondt <Chris.De.Bondt AT DVVLAP DOT BE>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:05:43 +0200
Hi,
I haven't actually tried this (let alone measured the result), but it
would seem to me that the only way you could gain from spreading the
data base across different volumes, would be if there were several
(parallel) queries to it, able to run concurrently to the different
physical data sets. This doens't look very likely to happen, especially
not for those operations for which you most want good data base
performance (e.g. large restores).
So, although I believe that for cached raid devices the difference will
be small either way, I'm thinking of "defragmentating" our data base to
less volumes. So if I'm wrong on this, I'll be happy to be corrected,
it'll save me the trouble.

Cheers,
Chris

ps: does anyone else experience that this ADSM data base gets very big
very quickly ?