ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Database to SQL Database

1999-06-15 13:11:47
Subject: Re: ADSM Database to SQL Database
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:11:47 -0400
I don't know anything about SQL 7, or exactly how to do what you want, but
here is some information you can work with:

You can issue SQL queries against the ADSM data base if your server is
Version 3.

Chap. 17 of the ADSM V3 Adminstrators Guide (mine is for AIX) is titled
"Monitoring the ADSM Server", and it shows you how to find out the names of
the ADSM SQL tables.  The ADSM administrator's guide is available online for
all server platforms:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/software/adsm/pubs/admanual.htm

Now for Window systems, there is an ODBC driver.  So I know you can crank up
ACCESS or EXCEL on your PC, and have it issue the SQL queries against the
ADSM data base and pull information back directly into ACCESS or EXCEL on
the PC (no matter what platform your server runs on.)  I don't know if there
is a way to do the same thing with SQL 7.

Or, you can also issue the SQL queries from an ADSM admin client on any
platform and direct the output into a file.  There are some controls on the
format of the output, e.g. you can specify -commadelimited on an AIX client
to have the output fields separated by commas.  It shouldn't take much
scripting to use that file as input to load your own data warehouse with the
ADSM info.

One caveat:  Be aware that sometimes ADSM data bases grow very large (ours
is 11 GB for 400 clients) and non-trivial SQL queries can have a performance
impact on the server.  So you'll just want to query for the information you
really need, not the entire data base.

Hope you can use this,

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert