ADSM-L

Re: Réf . : Antwort: ANS0000X Compressed Data Grew - Lotus Notes Agent

1999-06-14 11:11:36
Subject: Re: Réf . : Antwort: ANS0000X Compressed Data Grew - Lotus Notes Agent
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:11:36 -0400
Stephanie:

COMPRESSION YES/NO tells the ADSM client whether to attempt compression.
If yes, it will try; if no, it won't try.

COMPRESSALWAYS YES/NO tells the ADSM client whether to back off the
compression in the event that compression is useless.  The compression
algorithm will sometimes give expansion if the data given to it is
already compressed.  If COMPRESSALWAYS YES, then the ADSM client will
"compress" anyway, else it will stop the compression and send the
data as is.  In either case, you will always get the advisory message.
You may ignore it.

That said, if you have drive compression enabled, you have the same
issues, but no way to ask it to back off.  Also, drive compression
is much faster (being implemented in HW), and uses no client resources.
If you have a fast LAN, the consensus of the list seems to be that
you're better off with COMPRESSION NO.

Rich

At 05:31 PM 6/14/99 +0200, you wrote:

>I did it, but the result was the same.
>So I set COMPRESSION to NO, and then the message disapeared.
>
>So my question is why is the COMPRESSALWAYS  set to NO doesn't work, and
>how can I use the compression.
>

>"Mecki M." <rmeschon AT OTELO.IBMMAIL DOT COM> le 14/06/99 15:42:53
>
>Veuillez répondre à "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
>
>Pour :    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>cc :   (ccc : Stephanie CANON/CIGMA)
>
>Objet :   Antwort: ANS0000X Compressed Data Grew - Lotus Notes Agent
>

>Hi Stephanie,
>
>you might try to set COMPRESSALWAYS to NO in your dsm.opt.
>
>So growing of afile during compression will cause a retry without
>compression.
>
>(Don't forget to restart ADSM's services after editing dsm.opt.)
>
>Regards
>     Mecki

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203