ADSM-L

Filtering HTTP Admin Access

1999-06-10 16:36:55
Subject: Filtering HTTP Admin Access
From: Matthew Stansel <matthew.stansel AT YALE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:36:55 -0400
Using Web interface for basic admin:

As many of you know, when a node is created, it is given "admin"
privileges
sufficient to edit it's own settings, to some extent anyway. However, if
a general
user(node) figures out that they can connect at port 1580 using any Web
browser,
they can login and, at least, view other node names and other stuff I'd
like to
protect.

Has anyone implemented any type of filtering, preventing general access
to the
admin port(1580)? The problem being, we have several users with admin
priv.
so they can create/register new nodes, passwords, etc. This is specific
to a single
Policy Domain. They need to be able to access the server at port 1580,
but I need
to block all other access to this port or any other port, except for
1500.

This is a big security problem as far as we are concerned.

Please help,
Matthew Stansel
Yale University School of Medicine