ADSM-L

Re: Large number of objects

1999-06-09 19:23:04
Subject: Re: Large number of objects
From: Carl Makin <carl AT XENA.AIPO.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:23:04 +1000
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Steve Watson wrote:

> I am working on a system which long term will store 10 million files
> on SSA RAID - yes that's million !

> Does anyone have experience of these kinds of voumes, or any
> performance stats on anything that can be scaled to give us some idea
> of what kind of performance we can expect.

We have 9 Million 40Kb TIFF images on 1 box.  The images are split into 55
subdirectories based on year and type (Australian or not).  They are
sitting on the same box as the ADSM server at the moment, which is a 2 CPU
F50 running Aix 4.2.1.  Attached is a StorageTek 9710 Library with 6
DLT7000 drives.

I try and fire off 6 concurrent backups that each step through 1/6th of
the filesystems using a script.  My current estimate of completing a WHOLE
backup are that it would take around 2 weeks minimum.  When I first backed
it up it took over a month (with only 2 DLT7000 drives available).

However, someone has suggested -INCRBYDATE which I haven't tried so I'm
about to go and kick off a backup using that. :)

Carl.