ADSM-L

Re: Solaris client

1999-06-01 01:07:44
Subject: Re: Solaris client
From: Michael Lightfoot <michael.lightfoot AT CENTRELINK.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 15:07:44 +1000
This is one of the absolute stupidities one comes across in ADSM, due to
the fact that it doesn't really understand about Unix filesystems and
mountpoints.

I think you were _really_ asking why ADSM doesn't restore the /proc
_directory_, not the "filesystem".  The answer is that it doesn't back up
mountpoints for "filesystems" that aren't backed up.  Means you have to
manually create /proc, /tmp (I think) and any mountpoints for filesystems
that you aren't backing up.

Although this is a minor annoyance, it is one of the things that ensures
that I wouldn't recommend ADSM to anyone who just wants to backup Unix
systems to Unix systems, and for those that want to backup Unix systems to
mainframe tape libraries (as is the case with ours), I'd probably recommend
looking at the alternatives (another site I previously worked at used
harbor.)

michael

--------
Michael Lightfoot
Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
Unix and Internet Team
Centrelink
Australia

"Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT NL> on 28/05/99 10:08:09 pm