ADSM-L

Re: DRM Losing Tapes

1999-05-31 06:05:33
Subject: Re: DRM Losing Tapes
From: Geetam Van Der Dussen <geetam AT SCOTPROV.CO DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 11:05:33 +0100
Me too !

I am losing DBB tapes too, but I notice them quite soon. Our scripts force
us to confirm that each tape has returned from off-site. This script
regulary lists a tape which was not called back.

I have checked it many times, it always is an expired DB Backup volume. Now
I just write the volume name on the list to be returned the next day, so it
does not build up.

I was assuming that it happened because I run the tape movement scripts
Monday to Friday, while DBbackups happen 7 days a week.

I know it gets a lot worse if I change the sequence of the daily
procedures.

Regards
     Geetam

> Date:    Fri, 28 May 1999 15:49:05 +0200
> From:    Salvatore Greco <sgreco AT TRUWORTHS.CO DOT ZA>
> Subject: Re: DRM Losing Tapes
>

> Hi
>
> We are also part of the "missing tapes" group.  We upgraded our server
> to the latest version to get around the expiration problem, and still
> about 2 to 5 tapes go offsite every day and maybe one or two come back.
>
> We recently did an audit and found that 98 tapes were at the "vault" and
> not known to ADSM.  This is not the first time that this has happened,
> and it first occured around November last year.
>
> The consultant is busy preparing a report and we may be able to share it
> with this forum to try and solve the problem.  I'd like to see some
> comments from any of the IBM developers that read this list :)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message is confidential and for the use only
of the intended recipient.  If you receive the message in error you are not
entitled to disseminate, copy or use the contents in any way.  In such
circumstances please forward the message back to the sender or contact
Scottish Provident Institution by telephone on 0131 556 9181.

Scottish Provident UK is the marketing name in the UK of The Scottish
Provident Institution, (a mutual life office incorporated by Act of
Parliament registered in Scotland no. Z5).  It is a member of the Scottish
Provident marketing group which also includes Scottish Provident
International Life Assurance Limited (registered in the Isle of Man no.
053002C).  Both companies are regulated by the Personal Investment
Authority.  Scottish Provident Trustees Limited, (registered in Scotland
no. 108046), Scottish Provident Pension Trustees Limited* (registered in
England no. 2404622). Registered Office: 7-11 Melville Street, Edinburgh,
EH3 7YZ. *Registered Office: One Silk Street, London, EC2Y 8HQ.   Head
Office: 6 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, EH2 2YA.  Telephone 0131 556 9181