ADSM-L

NT long file names

1999-05-19 08:55:09
Subject: NT long file names
From: Jack Revette <jack.revette AT DOWCORNING DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:55:09 -0400
I have a current problem (87425) open with IBM where NT 3.51 ADSM 3.1 0.6
client was doing a selective backup to an AIX 4.3 ADSM 3.1.2.20 server and
after 15+ hrs and 39GB of data encountered a fully qualified dataset name of
length 270 and dropped an informative message (ANx4005E) on both client and
server log. Ten minutes later the client aborts.  IBM's response is that
it's not an ADSM problem as Microsoft doesn't support file names greater
than 256 and points me to a microsoft doc (search on the MS site for 'Path
Too Long Error Message When Exceeding MAX_PATH ').  This doc does support
IBM's position re lfn, but also notes that NTBackup has no problem with such
files.
Last June in this forum, Andy Riebeck indicated similar concerns with NT
file names and pointed out certain limits (_MAX_DIR = 256, _MAX_EXT= 256,
_MAX_FNAME = 256, _MAX_PATH =260).
I can understand ADSM not processing 'errant' files, but I can't accept ADSM
abending or aborting backups when such a filename is encountered.  And in
general, IBM seems to agree with this position (note fixes IC20506,
IC18235).
Some questions:  Is anyone aware of attempts to remove the restriction of
the fully qualified dataset name being no greater in length than 256 or 260?
If no, is there any way to prevent users from creating such datasets?

This email transmission and any files that accompany it may
contain sensitive information belonging to the sender. The
information is intended only for the use of the individual
or entity named. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this email transmission in error, please
immediately notify the Security Administrator.
Security.Administrator AT dowcorning DOT com