ADSM-L

Re: Server hang after SELECT command

1999-05-18 09:56:05
Subject: Re: Server hang after SELECT command
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:56:05 -0400
I have given up on doing joins in select statements.  I have had to
cancel the server a number of times in the past when I did
try a join.  My server is at 3.1.2.14 on os/390 1.3.  I have also found
that the volumeusage table is a real dog even without a join.

If I really need a
report like that I do simple selects and load the data into a real dbms like
db2 which has well tuned code to do a join and where I can improve
the speed by creating my own indexes.

Lets remember here that ADSM is NOT a general purpose dbms.
I won't press IBM to improve
the select performance.  I want continual improvements in backup & restore
times.  The select features are marginal to the product.

--