ADSM-L

Re: Novell client missing long files in backup

1999-05-12 17:51:40
Subject: Re: Novell client missing long files in backup
From: Ron Heflin <rheflin AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 15:51:40 -0600
John

Whats hapeening is ADSM is backing up your files using a DOS 8.3 filename
instead of the long filename.  This is the way ADSM works, as far as I know.  It
does not back up files using the long filename.   I believe if you restore the
file the long filename will be restored but the problem is you can not use the
long filename to choose which file to restore.  I think what
ADSM or Novell does is truncate long filenames to 8 characters and checks to see
if a file with that name exists.  If a file with that name does not exist ADSM
uses that name to  backup the file.  If a file with that name does exist, the
last character(s) is replaced with the next sequential number which would make
the filename unique and that 8 character name is used to back up the file.  For
example:

long file name   longfilen1  would have a DOS name longfile
long file name   longfilen2  would have a DOS name longfil0
long file name   longfilex2  would have a DOS name longfil1
long file name   longfilee4  would have a DOS name longfil2
long file name   longfilee5  would have a DOS name longfil3
long file name   longfilex6  would have a DOS name longfil4
long file name   longfile12  would have a DOS name longfil5
long file name   longfile80  would have a DOS name longfil6
long file name   longfilecd  would have a DOS name longfil7
long file name   longfileff  would have a DOS name longfil8
long file name   longfilezz would have a DOS name longfil9
long file name   longfileaa  would have a DOS name longfi10

As long as the first e characters of the file name are the same this is how it
works.

John Schneider <jdschn AT ibm DOT net> on 05/11/99 05:56:29 PM

Please respond to jdschn AT ibm DOT net