ADSM-L

More Unicode Problems

1999-05-12 15:33:43
Subject: More Unicode Problems
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 14:33:43 -0500
I've recently traced an outstanding problem which again appears to be
related to ADSM's lack of full unicode support:

We have two clustered NT servers sharing a fibre array of 3 logical drives.
In order to backup the shared array we have two adsm services installed on
each server. One service named 'adsm' backups up the local C: and D: drives,
the other named 'adsmcluster' backs up the clustered drives.

'adsmcluster' is generically clustered and only started on one server at any
one time. In the event of a failover the 'adsmcluster' service starts on the
other server and backups continue (provided that the backup windows has not
expired).

Last week backups were halting abruptly without error messages, dr watsons
or anything. The cluster would then restart the adsmcluster service.

the output appeared as below...

05/05/1999 23:51:14 ANS1898I ***** Processed   317,500 files *****
05/05/1999 23:51:14 ANS1898I ***** Processed   318,000 files *****
05/05/1999 23:51:14 ANS1898I ***** Processed   318,500 files *****
05/05/1999 23:51:23 ANS1898I ***** Processed   319,000 files *****
05/05/1999 23:51:34 ANS1898I ***** Processed   319,500 files *****
05/05/1999 23:51:55 Querying server for next scheduled event.
05/05/1999 23:51:55 Node Name: RDCLUSTER
05/05/1999 23:51:55 Session established with server SATADSMPROD1:
AIX-RS/6000
05/05/1999 23:51:55   Server Version 3, Release 1, Level 2.20
05/05/1999 23:51:55   Server date/time: 05/05/1999 23:51:48  Last access:
05/05/1999 21:37:26

I therefore ran an incremental interactively and was surprised to get the
following error:

ANS1898I ***** Processed   316,500 files *****
ANS1898I ***** Processed   317,000 files *****
ANS1898I ***** Processed   317,500 files *****
ANS1898I ***** Processed   318,000 files *****
ANS1898I ***** Processed   318,500 files *****
ANS1898I ***** Processed   319,000 files *****
ANS1898I ***** Processed   319,500 files *****
ANS1898I ***** Processed   320,000 files *****
ANS1898I ***** Processed   320,500 files *****
Normal File-->       110,608,384
\\raptor_data1\f$\HELPDESK\Socorro\kathryn.pst
[Sent]
Assertion failed: CB_HDRP((char *) blkP - FB_SIZE(blkP))->prevFree == 0,
file d
mem.c, line 1512

abnormal program termination

After much searching I managed to ascertain that infact the adsm client was
abending when attempting to backup files that had characters such as | in
the filename. NT guru's may know that the character | is deemed to be an
illegal character in an NTFS filename. In actual fact what this filename
contains is a character mapped into the private use area range of unicode.
Windows NT chooses to represent private use characters within Explorer using
characters such as | . Since ADSM is not fully unicode compliant it can't
backup files that contain characters mapped into the private use area range.
Under normal circumstances ADSM simply ignores these files and generates the
error. ANS1256E Cannot make file/directory. This abnormal program
termination is a new one on me though. Has anyone seen anything similar???
Does anyone know of a fix other than deleting the offending files or turning
off unicode support completely?

Nathan

Nathan King
Open Systems Storage Management
*  (210) 913-5755
* Pager: 753-5755
* E-mail: nathan.king AT usaa DOT com

The opinions herein are mine and almost certainly do not reflect those of my
employer.