ADSM-L

Re: No Include/Exclude command line option with v3 client???

1999-05-07 21:59:17
Subject: Re: No Include/Exclude command line option with v3 client???
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 19:59:17 -0600
Thomas,

I think you misunderstand what he may be trying to accomplish.  Perhaps he has
an include/exclude list that excludes d:\new\...\*.  He wants to capture a
backup of the data now once without editing his dsm.opt file (on Win32) and is
willing to let the incl/excl that excluded the data in the first place apply
again on susequant incrementals, causing all the data he backed up in this
incrementalto be the last good copy retained for retain-only days.

Dirk...
I suspect the command line version of include/exclude is like the server's
clientopt sets, where you code includes and excludes as:
inclexcl='include d:\new\...\*.*'
so the command line version would be:
dsmc incr -inclexcl='include d:\new\...\*.*'
Cause the 'include d:\new\...\*.*' to be effectively tacked onto the bottom of
the include/exclude list in your dsm.opt for this invocation.  Since it would be
tacked onto the bottom, it would override any excludes that reside in your
dsm.opt, but of course only on this invocation.  The next invocation that does
not use the option would cause all the data under d:\new\ to be expired, but it
would be retained for retain-only days according to the default mgmtclass
(default because your include does not specify one)

I hope I have interpreted what your are trying to do correctly.

Cheers...
Bruce

--
Bruce Elrick, Ph.D.