ADSM-L

ADSM & HSM Stub Files

1999-05-05 14:47:11
Subject: ADSM & HSM Stub Files
From: Steve Fletcher <sfletcher AT GIANTOFMARYLAND DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 14:47:11 -0400
We are looking for an HSM solution for our Netware and NT servers.  One
product under consideration is a solution from CA.  This product leaves a
"stub file" on the Netware/NT server so when the file is accessed next, an
automatic restore is initiated.  My concern is the following:

If a file is archived using this HSM solution, and the ADSM backup is then
run, will ADSM consider the file as changed and attempt to back it up,
which will trigger an automatic restore of the file by the HSM solution?

I know ADSM has an HSM solution for AIX, and there is a product from
Seagate called Storage Migrator which works on NT platforms, but I have
found nothing that manages Netware servers and interfaces with ADSM.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!