ADSM-L

Re: How to get a list of tapes needed for a restore via SAP R3 ba ckin t

1999-05-05 07:56:35
Subject: Re: How to get a list of tapes needed for a restore via SAP R3 ba ckin t
From: "Agnew, Doug" <dagnew AT CHARLOTTEPIPE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 07:56:35 -0400
Roland,

I've got a similar situation in that I also send primary copies of my
databases (SAP R/3 Informix -- and you're Oracle, I see) offsite (not enough
tapes, not enough library slots -- using 3590 with 10-tape magazines, not
enough time to make copies).  I've got 4 different databases (test,
development, techsupport, production) and I send each one to a different
storage pool.  Therefore, by listing the tape volumes by storage pool and
time last written, I can tell which tapes are which backup of the
appropriate database.  I've written a tape_inventory script (awk, ksh, and
ADSM query) that produces a report every day of where every cataloged tape
is and what ADSM database backups exist and will gladly share with you if
interested.

Doug Agnew
DBA
Charlotte Pipe & Foundry