ADSM-L

Re: Directory Structures are going to the wrong place.

1999-05-04 11:25:12
Subject: Re: Directory Structures are going to the wrong place.
From: Rui Malheiro <rmalheiro AT MAIL.TELEPAC DOT PT>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 15:25:12 GMT
Replying to: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM> (Tue, 4 May 1999 09:20:22
-0500)
>ADSMers,
>ADSMers,
>        We have a very simple installation of ADSM.  First we are using the
> default
>"Standard" Policy Domain, "Standard" Policy Set, "Standard" Management Class
>and "Standard" Backup Copy Group.  The backup copy group in the Standard
>Management class pointing to BACKUPPOOL (disk).  At this point if we run a
>backup everything goes to disk as it should.  Next we add another management
>class called "Tape" to the "Standard" Policy Set.  In the "Tape" management
>class we create a backup copy group which points to DLTPOOL1 (tape).  Now
>when we run a backup the data goes to disk as it should but the directory
>structures are now being rebound and sent to tape.

This is a FAQ. Directory information is sent to the management class with
the longest retention period. You can use the DIRMC option (dsm.opt) to
override the default behavior.

>        During our testing we took everything out of the dsm.opt file except 4
>lines needed for communications and the same thing happens.  We also have
>more than enough disk space so we are not reaching our thresholds.  We
>verified our thresholds.  Also we were on a support call with ADSM support
>yesterday for 4 hours.  They helped us rule out almost everything but they
>didn't seem to believe we were having this problem.  Not that I blame them
>because it is a mystery to me why this is happening.

Although this *is* a rather obscure feature, ADSM support *should* know
better... The mystery is solved by the options.txt document (or options.wri
for win32 platforms) in the client directory, which states:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=-
 [...]
 6.21 DIRMC

    Use the DIRMC option to specify the management class you want ADSM to
    use for directories. If you do not use this option to associate a
    management class with directories, ADSM uses the management class in the

    active policy set of your policy domain that has the longest retention
    period.

    When choosing a management class for directories, be sure to choose one
    that allows ADSM to retain directories at least as long as it retains
    the files associated with them.
[...]

=-

--