ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:44:49
Of course if ADSM opened up a little on their 'commercial secrets' we'd have
3rd party vendors writing the nice add-ons. I'm not proposing they go 'Open
Source' just yet however I'm sure we'd have had an ADSM server on Linux by now
if they had - now if that happened......hmmmm...what about that native library
support you wanted without having the awkwardness of the external library
manager.

Think of all the niggly little problems that exist with ADSM that you could
_help_ make go away........we all think its good but the turn round time for
new features (and ones that should have been there: archive symlinks) is long
(ok we want it right, quality and all that but.....)

How about the client source code in the public domain for starters.....is this
too radical a debate to start? Its seems to be working for other bits of
software. Yeah its your companies data but 'gtar | adsmpipe' (the one with a
FIFO in) is cool for not blowing up the database with millions of file entries
kept for some long regulatory (i.e. no real reason to keep them other than
legal) archive period.

Hmm how do we pay the developers under open source schemes?

Flame me :)
Alan

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Kauffman, Tom <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
    To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
    Date: Thursday, April 22, 1999 08:42
    Subject: Re: Strange Error Deleting a Disk Volume

    I've mentioned this once before myself. I have a *maximum* window of about
14 hours, once a week, that ADSM can be down. This is about to shrink to 12
hours. If I get a corrupted database again (it's happened once), I'll open a
PMR and follow the suggestions for a fix. If the fix (auditdb) doesn't complete
in the available window, I'll be opening a second PMR on the inadequate repair
utility.

    ADSM should be using a *real* dbms, whether DB2, oracle, Informix, or
something else. I'd prefer interchangeability here -- I've two trained Oracle
DBAs who tune, maintain, and (if needed) repair our oracle databases. It would
be real nice for the ADSM database to be 'just another database instance'.

    Tom Kauffman
    NIBCO, Inc.