ADSM-L

Re: DB mirroring vs. RAID

1999-04-22 21:31:49
Subject: Re: DB mirroring vs. RAID
From: Simon Watson <Simon.S.Watson AT SHELL.COM DOT BN>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:31:49 +0800
We use ADSM Mirroring, and keep 3 copies!  We have both MirrorWrite
(LOG & DB) parameters set to sequential.  Our DB is about 5 GB in size.
 The cost of the disk required to do this pales in comparison to the
business benefits of having a very robust configuration.

Please be aware that Disk or Logical Volume mirroring will not provide
the same level of protection for partial writes to the files, it will
only protect from Hardware failures.  ADSM Mirroring will protect you
from more types of failures & allow you more redundancy, ie more
copies.  Remember ADSM provides these extra facilities because they add
real value, over and above what the OS can provides.

Of course you need to make sure the different Mirrors are on completely
different hardware.  I suppose if you have buckets of money you could
put the ADSM Mirrors on separate Hardware mirrored volumes or Raid
Volumes, although this would impact performance.

Regards,
Simon