ADSM-L

Re: DB mirroring vs. RAID

1999-04-21 19:02:02
Subject: Re: DB mirroring vs. RAID
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 19:02:02 -0400
Raid 5 vs mirroring:

Protection against media/drive failure:
  RAID5:
    Protects against single failure in raid group.
    Can be configured with hot-spare, to auto-replace failed drive
    Hot-spare provides failure against second failure, in time
  Mirroring:
    Protects against multiple failures, so long as 2 failures do not
      include both pairs of a mirror.

Performance:
  RAID5:
    Without write-cache, there is a signifcant performance penalty
      using RAID5.  If you have a smallish server, this may not be
      an issue.  As your database gets larger, I/O performance to the
      database may become an issue.
    With write-cache, RAID5 performance approaches non-RAID,
      non-mirrored performance.  Still a slight penalty.  This is a
      rule of thumb and I'm not sure how well it applies to ADSM.
  Mirroring:
    Provides best performance (at least in AIX's LVM, and I >assume< in
      ADSM but I'm not certain).  The reason is that reads are satisifed
      from whichever mirror copy provides the best performance.

Other issues:
  Mirroring:
    Provides the option of mirroring disks using fiber-extended SSA or FC,
    to a remote location.  This enables some DR possibilities.

..Paul