ADSM-L

Re: DB mirroring vs. RAID

1999-04-21 10:50:29
Subject: Re: DB mirroring vs. RAID
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:50:29 -0400
Well, here's my 2 cents worth.
I certainly agree with Andy Raibeck that the SAFEST and FASTEST solution is
to mirror the DB.

******************
NOTE!
Please do NOT take the following as a recommendation to stop mirroring your
DB!
Don't even THINK about it unless you REALLY understand your environment,
REALLY understand ADSM data base recovery, and are willing to TEST your
procedures!
******************

However, IF you do careful planning, and your environment is SUITABLE, I
think some sites can manage with one copy of the DB on RAID5.

In our particular environment, I don't mirror the DB (which is on RAID5)
because

(1) I have mirrored the log on DIFFERENT disk (also RAID5),
(2) The log is in ROLLFORWARD mode, a full DB backup is run every midnight,
our "offsite" vault is only 2 buildings away, and
(3) an outage to recover the DB would not be a big problem for us.

I have been through the recovery drill several times, and I know that I can
put the DB back to where it crashed by using my last full backup tapes, and
my log.  So the DB data is SAFE.  In my case, what I would lose if my data
base crashed would be TIME, not data, and in THIS PARTICULAR SITE that is an
acceptable risk, given also the low liklihood of failure in the RAID5 disk.
We also have very fast tape, and only a 10GB data base

I would NOT consider running without the DB mirror if we had implemented the
space management component, which would make ANY outage time unacceptable.

Before deciding you can do without a DB mirror, you should consider:

1) How long would it take you to recover your DB from tape and roll forward
from the log? Remember to include:

*       The time it takes you to figure out what the problem is and remember
what you need to do about it
*       The time it takes your hardware people or your vendor to get you
replacement disk.
*       The time it takes to FORMAT new DB space. (Just running a dsmfmt on
AIX can take HOURS for many GB...)
*       Where are your DB backups stored?  If they are offsite, how long
would it take you to get the tapes back?
*       How fast are your tape drives?  How long to actually do the DB
restore?

2) What if it happens while you are on vacation?  Does your backup ADSM
admin know what to do?

3) Are you running the LOG in ROLLFORWARD mode?

4) Are you running space management (HSM) clients? This makes ANY DB outage
unacceptable.

5) How VISIBLE is an ADSM outage in your shop?  What are the political
impacts of having an outage of several hours?

6) How willing are you (and do you have a suitable test platform) to set up
and test your DB recovery procedures until you can do it smoothly and
quickly?

7) How much is your TIME worth?  Disk is cheap.

You should be confident that you can deal with these non-trivial issues
before you decide to run without the DB mirror.
All them become non-issues if you run with DB mirrors -- buying disk will be
the cheapest solution in most cases!