ADSM-L

ADSM server process growing too much

1999-04-21 06:57:45
Subject: ADSM server process growing too much
From: Aidas Kasparas <kaspar AT LIFOSA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:57:45 +0300
Hi, all,

        I'm trying to set up ADSM (3.1.2.20) on H50 with AIX 4.3.2 and 3995
 MO
library.
After my experiments with incremental backup and restoring of ~0.5G of
information on several partitions of the same mashine my dsm client got
killed due to virtual memory shortage. I was unable to run any other
programs. When I issued "halt" command to dsmserv 50M+ of RAM and 300M+
of paging space was freed.

        Seeing this I made another experiment. I restarted dsmserv and
monitored (using monitor) usage of memory of dsmserv. While backuping
~100M of filespace dsmserv had grow from 18M to 37M. And this figure did
not get less after quiting of dsm process. I have number of questions:

        1) is it normal behaviour?
        2) if not, where to look in configuration for some badly set
parameter[s]?
        3) what memory usage should I expect if I will be backuping ~30G of
information including AIX filesystems, Oracle and Lotus databases and
information from WindowsNT servers/workstations?

     Thanks a lot in advance.
--
Aidas Kasparas
Aidas Kasparas