ADSM-L

DB mirroring vs. RAID

1999-04-21 07:44:26
Subject: DB mirroring vs. RAID
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:44:26 +0200
Hi,

again I am struggling with my ever growing ADSM DB, not knowing where to
get the additional disk space I need. An option would be, to give up DB
mirroring and rely on RAID5 instead.

Since RAID5 protects against media/hardware failures, are there other
threats, DB mirroring protects against and RAID5 does not? There has been
discussion on this in August 98 and Andy Raibeck mentioned partial page
writes. But how probable are they? Has anybody out there ever been in a
situation where DB mirroring (would have) helped and RAID5 (would have)
not?

Regards

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet