ADSM-L

Re: Restore NT registry on another machine

1999-04-21 05:27:27
Subject: Re: Restore NT registry on another machine
From: Heinz Kranefeld <kranefeld AT DMS-DMZ DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:27:27 +0200
At 10:50 21.04.99 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We try to restore a NT server A on another NT server B to replace server A
>
>We install a system and an adsm client, and then restore on the server B
>the backup of server A (using the GUI "access another user")
If you do it this way, you need two NT OS partitions on your server. One
DISASTER NT and your PPRODUCTIVITY NT. You boot your DISASTER and recover
your PPRODUCTIVITY system, than you can restore the inactiv NT registry.
You found the backup registry in \adsm.sys\. In the dsm.opt file you have
the option BACKUPREG yes/no, the default is yes. (All options discribed in
options.wri.)
The detailed recovery process is discribed in some redbooks
(www.redbooks.ibm.com, SG24-2231-00, SG24-4878-00 and SG24-4880-00).

>We want to restore the registry of server A on server B, actually, we
>can't.
There might be problems, if the hardware is different.

>When we try to restore the registry of server A a from server B, it says it
>is not found.
>
>Is it possible to do that? And how ?
>
>Thanks a lot for your help

dmz Informationssysteme GmbH & Co.