ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:44:49
dcavanaugh AT UCSD DOT EDU wrote:
>IBM really should support starting, stopping, and recycling the scheduler
>from scripts located in the /etc/rc?.d directories.

A couple of questions occur to me:

1. Why do we need a recycle method? I can't see that being used very often,
(only if the dsm.opt/sys are changed). I take the simple approach, shutdown and
then start = recycle!

2. If the inittab method works fine, why not just use that? I will quite freely
admit
that I personally prefer /etc/rcX.d scripts, since you can easily tell what is
being
started and in what order. I was also told, (so I'm not 100% sure that this is
right), that
the /etc/rcX.d is a BSDism retained for compatibility, and the correct SysV
method is
to patch /etc/inittab. Needless to say, I tend to do the former rather than the
latter [doh!].

3. The appropriate script or scripts, (which is correct - a single SXX script
that
takes 'start' and 'stop' parameters, or a SXX to start and a KXX to stop - I'm
sure that
Sun recommend the latter?), should be relatively easy to build. So, why don't
we the
users do it and them pass them back to IBM. If you give me a few minutes I'm
sure I
can throw something together for comment on this list. (I've hopefully got a
new Solaris
2.6 system coming in, so I could try them out on there!)

Regards.

Robert Cross, Systems Programmer, Scottish & Newcastle plc.

--Boundary_(ID_s+Yclln56k9Ttsykh5xgeA)--