ADSM-L

Problem with volume history after volumes expire

1999-04-15 11:21:12
Subject: Problem with volume history after volumes expire
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:21:12 -0500
Greetings,
    We have a problem where certain DLT tapes seem to be scratch tapes,
but they still have
volume history associated with them.  In other words, when you do a 'q
volume ....' against
them they say there is no such volume.  But if you do a 'q volhist' you
see that the tape has
a volume history of STGNEW, and date a few months old.
    How are tapes getting in to this state?  We have some Onbar Informix
backups that we
manually delete the data off of after a certain number of weeks.  After
this happens they
go into a volume history state of STGDELETE.  We have an administrative
schedule that
deletes the volume history for any tapes in the STGDELETE state, because
otherwise we
couldn't reuse them as scratches, even though they were empty.  But I
don't think these
tapes are our problem, since they are in the STGDELETE state.
    We also have an administrative schedule that deletes old ADSM
database backups
using a 'delete volhist ...' command, and that seems to work.
    Tapes that are reclaimed or expired by the normal processes seem to
get deleted and
can be reused without a problem.

    So... where are these tapes coming from that are still in the volume
history with STGNEW,
but aren't in any storage pool?
    When we try to do a 'label libvolume ...' against them, it bails out
with a ANR8816E error,
which says the tape can't be labelled because there is volume history.
(The reason we do a
'label libvolume', by the way, instead of just a 'checkin libvol' is
because we don't want our
operators to have to make a distinction between scratch tapes and new
tapes.)
    Any advice would be appreciated.  I don't understand how we are
creating this situation.

John Schneider

* John D. Schneider       Email: jdschn AT ibm DOT net * Phone: 314-349-4556
* Lowery Systems, Inc.
* 1329 Horan                  Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are
* Fenton, MO 63026                   mine and mine alone.