ADSM-L

Re: Archive Loop on Sun Solaris

1999-04-14 22:30:46
Subject: Re: Archive Loop on Sun Solaris
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 20:30:46 -0600
Eric...

Although I consider the lack of an option not to follow symbolic links and
archive
links as links to be an ADSM shortcoming if not a bug, you may also want to
question why you have that particular link.  A bin directory should only contain
executables and scripts and not recursive links such as that one.

I've seen scripts that do something like:
ln -s "$source" target
without checking whether $source is defined or non-zero length.  By surrounding
it
with quotes, the script runs the following in such cases:
ln -s "" target
which creates a link to the current directory like you xview link (instead of
trying:
ln -s $source target
which would result in:
ln -s target
which would error out with ln complaining about only one argument).

I suspect some installation script went awry in your case.  You probably should
be
able to remove said link.

Cheers...
Bruce