ADSM-L

Re: Strange Error Deleting a Disk Volume

1999-04-14 16:38:50
Subject: Re: Strange Error Deleting a Disk Volume
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 16:38:50 -0400
You would expect that no one could restore a file from this volume,
if there really are any backup versions still on it, right?  I suggest
putting the volume to sleep and ripping the storage out from underneath
it to use for other things as you intended.  To do this --

1. update it and mark it read only or even unavailable.
2. does the vm server have a vary command? (the mvs server does).
if so, vary it offline.  At this point the vm file should be unallocated.
3. Take a vm utility backup of the file.
4. destroy the file.
5. Restart adsm, it should start without trying to get at the file.
6. Use the space for other purposes.
7. Persue the anr9999d with IBM support, as the messages & codes manual says
you should.  Eventually they may discover a bug or tell you how to repair the
db without a full dump & load.

(I am seeing more reports of anr9999d messages on the list.  Is it just
that there are more subscribers or is there something rotten in the
server code?  And when will it be my turn?)

--