ADSM-L

REPAIRING DB VOLS ON ADSM

1999-04-12 17:13:02
Subject: REPAIRING DB VOLS ON ADSM
From: Tahir Mahmood <tmahmood AT VANSEL.ALCATEL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:13:02 -0400
Hi,

Further to my earlier msg reproduced here :

>Our setup is : ADSM Server V2R1 for OS/2 (0.15.0.15) Service level.
>Recently we changed from 8505 drives to 8900 (Mammoths).
>I did a full db backup which worked fine but when I 'q volh type=dbb' the new
>full db backup vol is >not shown although a 'q libv' shows it as a 'DbBackup'
>vol. I tried adding this entry to the >VOLHIST.OUT file but still no luck. I
>halted & re-started the server but still no luck.

>Why can't I see the new full db backup vols ? I cannot delete older db backup
>vols to return them to a >scratch status.

>A direct e-mail response would be highy appreciated.

I found out that while doing db backup there is a certain page on one of my DB
vols on the server HDD which cannot be read. See copy of activity log below :

ANR4554I Backed up 1232096 of 1404855 database pages.
ANR4554I Backed up 1254560 of 1404855 database pages.
ANR0246E Error reading logical page 1257648 (physical page 226736) from
database volume G:\DBVOLS\DB_VOL08.DSM.
ANR9999D iccopy.c(1552): Unable to read from db volume.
ANR9999D icback.c(328): Backup rc=6.
ANR4581W Database backup/restore terminated - internal server error detected.
ANR1361I Output volume DSM203 closed.

On checking ANR0246E it recommends that the server be 'halted' and vol be
repaired. I tried doing that using CHKDSK /F on the offending vol and ran a db
backup again but it does not seem to have repaired the logical error. Is there
some other way to repair it ?

A direct e-mail response would be highy appreciated.

Thanks,

Tahir