ADSM-L

ATTN: IC21764 Clean-Up Utility is Now Available

1999-04-12 08:55:09
Subject: ATTN: IC21764 Clean-Up Utility is Now Available
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 05:55:09 -0700
Hello ADSM-L,

This posting is directed to ADSM Windows NT Client users who are
experiencing
the symptoms described by APAR IC21764.

The clean-up utility for APAR IC21764 is now available on
index.storsys.ibm.com.
Please note that this is not an installable package, nor is it a
replacement for
any ADSM client PTFs. It is a stand-alone utility intended for "one-time"
use
only, and then it should be discarded.

This utility is available for Intel clients only. I will be making a DEC
Alpha
version available within the next week or two. I will let you know when it
is
available.

The utility is available for download from our FTP site
index.storsys.ibm.com.
The files are located in directory /adsm/fixtest/v3r1/win32/intel. The
files
are:

   IC21764L2.README.FTP - Describes how to download the utility files.

   IC21764L2.README.1ST - Just as its name suggests, you should read this
file
                          before attempting to use the utility.

   IC21764L2.EXE        - This is a self-extracting executable that
contains
                          clean-up utility files.

The following is the contents of the README.1ST file that comes with the
fixtest.

============================= BEGIN README.1ST ============================
=
=====================================
IC21764 CLEAN-UP UTILITY INSTRUCTIONS
=====================================

========
CONTENTS
========

   - WARNINGS
   - CONTENTS OF THE CLEAN-UP UTILITY
   - FILE DESCRIPTIONS
   - BEFORE YOU BEGIN
   - HOW TO USE THE UTILITY

========
WARNINGS
========

*********** It is important that you read this file carefully and follow
the
* WARNING * instructions exactly. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS TOOL WITHOUT
*********** FIRST READING AND UNDERSTANDING THE INSTRUCTIONS.

*********** This utility is intended for users experiencing the problems
* WARNING * described by APAR IC21764. The symptoms include many "ANS1304W
*********** Active object not found" messages during incremental backup for
            files with international characters in their names. These
            symptoms appear after upgrading from version 3.1.0.3 (or below)
            to a newer version of the client. You shoud not use the utility
            unless you are certain that you need to use it. In general, I
            recommend using this utility only at the direction of IBM
            service.

*********** If you have a system has never been backed up by a version of
* WARNING * ADSM that is older than 3.1.0.6, then you do not need to run
*********** this clean-up utility on that system.

*********** Once you have performed the cleanup, you should never use the
* WARNING * utility again. I do not think that anything bad will happen if
*********** you do use it again accidentally, but my recommendation is to
            remove it from your system once the cleanup is complete.

================================
CONTENTS OF THE CLEAN-UP UTILITY
================================

The IC21764 clean-up utility consists of the following files:

  - DSMCLEAN.EXE
  - DSMCLEAN.OPT
  - DSCAMENG.TXT
  - CLEANUP.CMD.
  - README.1ST (this file)

=================
FILE DESCRIPTIONS
=================

* DSMCLEAN.EXE is a modified version of the ADSM command line
Backup-Archive
  client, version 3.1.0.5 L2. You are allowed to run only the following
  commands:

  - LOOP
  - INCREMENTAL
  - SCHEDULE
  - QUIT

  Note that you can not use the ADSM scheduler service to directly run this
  executable, but you can run it indirectly by scheduling a command to run
  CLEANUP.CMD.

  You could run the scheduler in the foreground (i.e. run DSMCLEAN
SCHEDULE)
  but I do not recommend it. Instead you should run it manually so you can
  monitor its activities.

* DSMCLEAN.OPT is a sample options file. The key points are
  USEUNICODEFILENAMES NO and BACKUPREGISTRY NO.

* DSCAMENG.TXT is the messages file. This is being supplied in an English
  version only, but this will not affect whether you can run it on a German
  (or other language) machine. Just the ADSM messages will be displayed in
  English.

* CLEANUP.CMD is a sample batch file showing how to use the utility. I
  summarize the usage below:

================
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
================

Before using this clean-up utility, you must do the following:

1) Install the version 3.1.0.6 client (IP21494).

2) Complete at least one incremental backup on the entire system.

If you are already running version 3.1.0.6 (or one the fixtests based on
version 3.1.0.6), then you should be okay. However if you are running at
a version below 3.1.0,6, then you must do steps 1 and 2 before using the
utility. This includes users who are still running version 2 and want to
upgrade to version 3.1.0.6.

======================
HOW TO USE THE UTILITY
======================

To use the utility, you need to do the following:

1) Copy the utility files into a separate directory. In my sample batch
file,
   I used "d:\program files\ibm\adsm\baclient\cleanup", but you can use any
   directory you want. My only recommendation is that you put them in their
   own subdirectory, i.e. do not put them in ..\adsm\baclient.

2) Set DSM_CONFIG, DSM_DIR, and DSM_LOG environment variables according to
   where you copied the files. CLEANUP.CMD shows sample settings.

3) Customize DSMCLEAN.OPT for your server address, commmethod, node name,
   etc. I also recommend trying this on only one disk first by setting the
   DOMAIN option to just that one disk.

4) Run the following command:

      DSMCLEAN INCREMENTAL -TEST=NLSEXPIREFIX -DIRSONLY

   You must specify -TEST=NLSEXPIREFIX and -DIRSONLY in order for the
utility
   to run correctly.

   You MUST run complete incrementals on your disks. Do not run
incrementals
   against individual files or directories.

   NOTE: You will probably see lots of files getting expired and lots of
   "active object not found" messages. These are okay. ADSM is just
expiring
   the files that have their names stored on the ADSM server with the wrong
   case, and there are probably a lot of these files.

5) Run the following command:

      DSMCLEAN INCREMENTAL -TEST=NLSEXPIREFIX

   This is the second time you need to run the command. The only difference
   from step 4 is that you do NOT use the -DIRSONLY option.

   CLEANUP.CMD illustrates how these commands should be used. As the batch
   file shows, it directs the output of the DSMCLEAN commands to output
files
   for your future reference.

6) Now you can go back to running ADSM version 3.1.0.6. You should no
longer
   see the "active object not found" messages. DO NOT GO BACK TO 3.1.0.3.

If you use CLEANUP.BAT but you do not use PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE in
DSM.OPT,
you should add the option -PASSWORD=xxxxx to the DSMCLEAN commands:

   DSMCLEAN INCREMENTAL -TEST=NLSEXPIREFIX -DIRSONLY -PASSWORD=xxxxx
   DSMCLEAN INCREMENTAL -TEST=NLSEXPIREFIX           -PASSWORD=xxxxx

If you do not use PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE and if you do not use the
-PASSWORD=xxxxx as suggested, then when you run CLEANUP.BAT, it will appear
to sit there doing nothing. In this case, it is waiting for you to enter
to sit there doing nothing. In this case, it is waiting for you to enter
the
password. Type the password and press <ENTER>. The utility will start.

I recommend using PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE to avoid this confusion.

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
storman AT us.ibm DOT com
=

Regards,

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."