ADSM-L

Re: IBM-3494 vs STK-9740

1999-04-12 08:27:37
Subject: Re: IBM-3494 vs STK-9740
From: G Christian <chris_g_fr AT YAHOO DOT FR>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 05:27:37 -0700
Hi Tia,

I have already installed few 9710 STK with ADSM (on Aix, HP an Sun
platforms).

For HP, there are few things to do in order to recognize the library
(sctl, spt, ...) and drives (DLT4000 or DLT7000) ; some patchs from HP
are needed.

For Aix, connect and create mt and lb (via ADSM DEVICE on smit) very
easy ! and after define the library and drives !!

For Sun, like HP, there are few commands to create links for the
library and drives.

For the new drive eagle, there are informations on the Web IBM
(compatibility drive & library).

For the 9740 library, you can "daisy-chained" 6 librarys maximum, but
the software ACSLS is needed because the Pass-through (between the
different library) is only accessible by the RS232 port...

Chris

"Mauro M. Tinelli" <Mauro.TINELLI AT ST DOT COM> a icrit:

> To anybody who knows,
>
> I have to choose between:
>
>         1) IBM 3494 with 4 drives 3590 (IBM offer)
>         2) STK 7940 with 4 drives 9840 (HP offer)
>
> I'm interested in technical points, I know everything about IBM
hardware,
> but I don't know much about the STK one.
>
> Specifically for STK:
>
> 1) can I expect any trouble to find the ADSM driver for the Library?
>    ADSM support list doesn't show this object!
>
> 2) what about attaching the new 9840 (eagle) drives? As before the
ADSM
>    doesn't say much about them!
>
> 3) someone is telling me that me the STK 9740 is an expandable
library?
>    I've been looking in the STK Web pages and I've seen a stand-alone
>    library, not expandable as the 3494 which can add frames (up to
16).

> TIA
>
> Ciao Mauro

JTES-VOUS YAHOO!?