ADSM-L

ADSM NT Client Registry Backup Failure using non-Admin Account

1999-04-08 17:12:54
Subject: ADSM NT Client Registry Backup Failure using non-Admin Account
From: Dennis Schaffer <Dennis.Schaffer AT MUTUALOFOMAHA DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 16:12:54 -0500
We are preparing to convert the scheduling of our ADSM backups of Windows NT 4.0
SP3 clients to an external scheduling package (corporate mandate).  We are
running a combination of ADSM NT V2.1.0.6 and V3.1.0.6 clients.

We currently run our backups under the NT "System" account.  When we convert to
the external scheduling system, we want to begin running the backups using an
account with the minimum authority possible because that scheduling system will
be beyond our control.  We specifically do not want to use a domain admin
account.

I've seen the documentation that describes the user rights (Backup files and
directories, Restore files and directories, Manager auditing and security logs)
required for a non-domain administrator to perform ADSM backups.  During
testing, I've been able to backup files/directories with those rights but have
received the following error when attempting to backup the NT registry:

ANS1435E  An Error Occurred Saving the Key

I've determined that this account can read/export the registry using REGEDIT and
it can also save files in the ADSM.SYS subdirectory.

Do any of you have any other ideas what rights, etc. are required to backup the
registry?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Dennis Schaffer
Mutual of Omaha