ADSM-L

Re: Sun Client Question

1999-04-08 00:58:17
Subject: Re: Sun Client Question
From: "schmed2 AT skypoint DOT com" <schmed2 AT SKYPOINT DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 23:58:17 -0500
We want to restore just the directory names, because the OS needs them.
We are not concerned about the files in the directories.  We are testing
this to see if we can successfully restore the OS in a disaster
scenario.  In our first test, the OS complained during boot about
missing the /proc filesystem after a full restore.  Apparently ADSM
doesn't restore the directory names of directories that are empty.  We
are trying to figure out if there is a way to get ADSM to do this?

-Don Schmeichel
        Re: Sun Client Question
   Date:
        Wed, 7 Apr 1999 15:18:37 -0500
   From:
        "Watson, Pamela L" <watsopl AT TEXACO DOT COM>

/proc is a pseudo file system that provides access to the state of each
active process in the system.  The process info. monitored in the /proc
file
system changes as the process moves through its life cycle.

/tmp (i.e., tmpfs) is also a pseudo file system that uses the virtual
memory
subsystem & is used by the kernel's page caching mechanism.  Files &
directories in /tmp are temporary & are released when the system reboots
or
the file system is unmounted.

In short, why would you want to restore either of these pseudo file
systems
(or even bother to back them up)?