ADSM-L

MAcintosh V3 clients and the scheduler

1999-04-07 14:04:00
Subject: MAcintosh V3 clients and the scheduler
From: JerryLawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 14:04:00 -0400
Date:     April 7, 1999            Time: 12:46 PM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
I recently installed the V3 clients (at L6) on the first Macintosh machines
I recently installed the V3 clients (at L6) on the first Macintosh machines
for us; prior to this our Macintosh machines had been running on V2. I got
the code from the Desktop Client CD ROM that came with our V3 Server order.

The installation went smoothly - one of the machines was an upgrade, and the
other a new install.  We updated the ADSM Preferences file, and then started
the B/A client and did some test backups with no problems.

We then took a look at the Scheduler for the Mac - it has been giving us
nothing but problems, and we have been unable to establish a session to do a
scheduled backup.  In fact, the log shows messages indicating that it
establishes the connection (the usual lines that tell client name, schedule
name, time for next backup, etc.), and then we get a message that says
"Schedule Stopped".  There is no ANS/ANR message associated with this
message, and nothing of relevance in the error log.

We have also noticed that the program placed in the Startup folder (ADSM
Scheduler Daemon) takes forever to get started.  It was so slow that the
administrator was concerned that on a restart of the server, the person doing
the restart would leave before the prompt for the password was shown, and
thus no backups.  Additionally, once we did supply the password, the Daemon
seemed to disappear.  There was no application showing in the normal pulldown
list, thus making it hard to determine exactly what the status of the
scheduler is.

One of the machines is running MAC 05 7.5.1 on a Quadra 800; the other is
running OS8.1 on a Power PC.  The later has Open Transport 1.3.1

Can anyone provide me with some suggestions on how to resolve these problems,
and for that matter has anyone else seen these problems?

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over..and expecting the results to
be different - Anon.