ADSM-L

Re: Attempting to Test Notes Agent

1999-03-31 11:07:40
Subject: Re: Attempting to Test Notes Agent
From: Joshua Bassi <jbassi AT GLORYWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:07:40 -0800
Dan,

I would like to premise this reply with the fact that I am not a Notes guru.
I have worked with many Notes administrators/architects who enlightened me
on the way Notes maintains it's own document versioning though, and we
seemed to have pounded our way through understanding how the notes agent
performs it's backup.

Each document in a notes database has it's own versioning number.  So that
when notes replication occurs notes knows which docs are the most recent and
then pushes those out to the replica servers.  Each document also has an
internal ctime & mtime.  When the ADSM notes agent performs an incremental
backup of a database, I believe that it is looking at those times to verify
where it has the latest version or not.

So as many of us have seen, when we perform a dsmnotes incr type=full, and
when more data is being sent to the client than the server, it is running
thought all the documents in the db comparing what it has in server storage
with what is in the database now.  As many of us know, this shouldn't be
happening to the extent that it does; hopefully the notes agent developer
who is monitoring this list will continue to improve upon this "feature" :-)

Joshua Bassi                          E-mail:    jbassi AT gloryworks DOT com
Joshua Bassi                          E-mail:    jbassi AT gloryworks DOT com
Storage Management Team Lead          VM/Pager:  (972) 680-6247
Dickens Services Group                Internet:  www.teamdsg.com