ADSM-L

Moving Pool Vols (Was: Moving DB)

1999-03-30 03:20:47
Subject: Moving Pool Vols (Was: Moving DB)
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:20:47 +0200
Fred Johanson writes:
 > Now I have to move my pools.  Is there a better way than draining the
 > existing (himig and lomig both =0); allocating, formatting, and defining
 > new volumes; deleting the old; and returning himig and lomig to the
 > previous values?

well, it depends. If you have collocation set on, using migration to
clean volumes requires a lot of tape mounts. The number of tape mounts
explodes, the closer your mig% comes to 0, because migration order is
based on the volume of the data. (During normal processing, file spaces
containing only few data tend to stay in the disk pool for a long time.)

I would suggest: define the new volumes, set access to the old volumes
to READONLY, move data.

--
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                        Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet