ADSM-L

Re: Moving DB

1999-03-29 17:38:31
Subject: Re: Moving DB
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:38:31 -0600
At 03:05 PM 3/26/99 -0700, you wrote:
>No, don't extend it!  If you do that then you can't delete the old
volumes.  The
>value for maximum extension is the amount of space in the sum total of
database
>volumes that is not currently being used for the database.  That number
must be
>larger than the size of the database volume you want to delete.

That's the mistake I made last time.  There wasn't enough room left then to
delete the old volumes.  I had to walk them accross to new space by adding
and deleting mirrors, which was possible because the disks had the same
size physical partitions.  But allocating, formatting, and defining new
volumes followed by deletion of the old and extending of DB left me with
four DB files in one filespace, as opposed to ten in four previously.

Now I have to move my pools.  Is there a better way than draining the
existing (himig and lomig both =0); allocating, formatting, and defining
new volumes; deleting the old; and returning himig and lomig to the
previous values?

Fred Johanson
System Administrator, ADSM
S.E.A.