ADSM-L

ADSM, TCP/IP & MVS - Huge CPU Savings!!!

1999-03-25 11:51:57
Subject: ADSM, TCP/IP & MVS - Huge CPU Savings!!!
From: Lisa Galindo <ldgalindo AT DSTSYSTEMS DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:51:57 -0600
A few weeks ago, I sent a mail to this Listserv and begged advice for our TCP/IP
high CPU problem in conjunction with ADSM on MVS.  I, subsequently, spoke with
Jeff and he suggested changing an option on our release of TCP/IP and the
associated Cisco router.  The parameter was to turn Offload on.   It took a few
weeks, but we did this and it reduced the CPU consumption of TCP/IP by about
83%!!!   This is a MIPS savings of hundreds of thousands of dollars! If you are
implementing this change, it does take some IP stack processing off of the host
and push it to the router.  We had sized our router to handle huge quantities of
traffic, so this didn't bother us.   Thanks to Jeff....   The Listserv
definitely paid off.

Lisa