ADSM-L

Re: Exclude Options for Sun 2.6 Client

1999-03-25 08:58:45
Subject: Re: Exclude Options for Sun 2.6 Client
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:58:45 -0500
First, I would upgrade your client to 3.1.0.6 (get it by anonymous ftp from
index.storsys.ibm.com).  I seem to recall that there is a bug that
exclude.dir won't work on top level directories (i.e., /adm won't work
but /var/adm will).

Second, I would note that you need to back up the mount point.  You just
don't want to have the contents of the CDs.  Hence, have you verified that
the client is backing up anything besides the directory?  Is it sending,
say, /cdrom/file to the server?  If not, don't worry about it.

Finally, will "dsmc incr" pass over the cdrom directories?  If so, I
would conclude that by specifying the directory in the command line,
you're overriding the exclude file.

Rich

At 09:11 AM 3/25/99 +0100, you wrote:
>     I wan't to exclude the following directories (for example CD drives)
on a
>     Solaris 2.6 (Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.3):
>
>     /cdrom/...
>     /cdrom1/...
>     /cdrom2/...
>
>     Even if I specified
>
>     exclude /cdrom/*
>     exclude.dir /cdrom*
>
>     then the command
>
>     dsmc incr /cd*
>
>     will start to backup directory /cdrom.
>
>     How can I specify wildcards for directories, for example:
>
>     exclude /cdrom*/* (which is not allowed according to the manuals).
>
>     Why does the above exclude for /cdrom/* not work?
>
>     Thanks for any help.
>     Regards
>     Werner Nussbaumer

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-2203