ADSM-L

Re: ADSM an NT-Server or NT-Workstation

1999-03-25 08:08:54
Subject: Re: ADSM an NT-Server or NT-Workstation
From: Andreas Peikert <apeikert AT AMADEUS DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:08:54 +0100
Hi Walter,

as far as I know, Schulman et al. have published some books
on the 'Undocumented Windows' topics, where in one of those
(as I remember) was stated, that the code of both WinNT
workstation and server are identical or at least there is
no restriction from the code to have just 10 connections to
the outside world.
For example in case Your workstation has more than 10 open
connections, none will be terminated and all of these will
stay up and keep working.
At least this is my knowledge, but it may be outdated as it
is back from 1996-1997 when NT 4.0 came out.

The issue with WinNT workstation and server is more or less
not the technical side, but the license of the WinNT product.
The workstation license does not allow more than 10 'incoming'
connections, but the server does. Well, as of my knowledge,
there is no exact way of determining on the side of the IP
stack, what is 'incoming' and what is 'outgoing', but You
know for what You install and run the product.

On the other hand: If the workstation license permits, then
You might want to consider proper scheduling of more than 10
clients - but all at a different time.
That also depends on the feasibility of this solution (i.e.
You will have to ensure, that no license problem will arise
at any given point in time).

Considered that the server documentation is more comprehensive
(if still included in the base product price ...),
I think that in the end it will be always safer and not much
more expensive to run the WinNT server.

Best regards

Andreas Peikert, Systems Programmer
   aMaDEUS Data Processing GmbH
   P.O. Box,   D-85424 Erding,   Germany
   Fon: +49 (0)8122 43-5805
   Fax: +49 (0)8122 43-3260
   email: apeikert AT amadeus DOT net

<* save a megabyte - do you really have to file this note *>