ADSM-L

Re: excess activity log msgs - v3

1999-03-24 16:18:05
Subject: Re: excess activity log msgs - v3
From: "Purdon, James" <james_purdon AT MERCK DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:18:05 -0500
You've got it.  Back under ADSM server version 2 I decided to be a good
dobee and print out a daily error report.  Now, thanks to the inane "No
items match query" messages, this report excedes all reasonable size and has
become pretty useless.

When I do a "query volume access=readonly" and get nothing back, I'm happy -
so don't make me sad by logging it as an error.  The same goes for all my
queries against volumes or the library - I'm looking to see whether
something is there or not.  Just because it isn't there doesn't mean its an
error.

Some good-hearted folks have suggested using a variety of filtering
mechanisms to just see the messages that I want.  Seems like a lot of work
(and who knows what other tripe will get stuffed into the activity log with
each new release of ADSM) just to make things the  way they used to be and
it misses the point.  I want my errors to be errors - broken tape drives,
bad tapes, running out of space, that sort of thing.  A  query that doesn't
return any items just isn't an error.

Jim