ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Oracle - File Expiration

1999-03-24 10:48:30
Subject: Re: ADSM and Oracle - File Expiration
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:48:30 -0700
Scott...

SQLBackTrack stores backups of physical files or logical exports using
pseudo-filenames that includes time stamps, so every time you do an SQL
BackTrack backup ADSM is given a new set of unique objects.  Thus there are
never more than one 'version' of a 'file'.  That is why versions-exists can
safely be set to 1 and retain-extra can be set to zero (recall retain extra
affects the retention of the 2nd, 3rd, etc. oldest versions of a file, of which
there are none in this case).  The versions-deleted is set to 0 so that when
SQL BackTrack tells ADSM to delete an object, which it does after the two weeks
you've set it to, ADSM will mark it for expiration the next time expiration is
run (within 24 hours typically).  The retain-only is set to zero for the same
reason; once SQL BackTrack decides to delete the file, it is of no use to
retain that last-good-version and longer.

Hope that clears it up.

Cheers...
Bruce

--