ADSM-L

[no subject]

1999-03-23 00:49:39
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:49:39 +1100
G'day,

We have a really strange problem. I am logging a call with IBM, but I
thought that I would run it by the list as well, to see if any of you have
any suggestions.

Consider the following setup:

        +----------------+                      +----------------+
      |                |                        |                |
      |    ClientA     |                        |    ClientB     |
        |  WNT 4.0 SP4   |                      |  WNT 4.0 SP4   |
        |  ADSM 3.1.0.6  |                      |  ADSM 3.1.0.6  |
      |                |                        |                |
      +-------+--------+                        +--------+-------+
              |                                    |
              +--------------+      +--------------+
              NetworkA       |      |       NetworkB
                                +----+------+----+
                                |                |
                                |     Server     |
                                |                |
                        +----------------+

The 2 clients, are connected to 2 different networks - there is no
connectivity between the 2. However, the ADSM server is connected to both
networks via different adapters. Therefore, both clients can use the same
ADSM server.

However, the problem comes about when we try to restore data belonging to
ClientA from ClientB by doing

        DSMC -nodename=ClientA

We can do things like QUERY BACKUP and RESTORE -PICK with no problems. But
as soon as the data transfer starts, we see a significant (~60 seconds)
pause and then the error 'ANS1410E Unable to access the network path'. The
source node (ClientA) isn't even know to NetworkB's name server. If we
create a dummy entry called ClientA in NetworkB's DNS, and point it to a
node that is reachable from ClientB, we instead get the error 'ANS4007E
Error processing '\\ClientA\d$': access to the object is denied'.

It appears, for some reason, that the restore process attempts to connect to
the original system. Before we upgraded to 3.1.0.6 (from 3.1.0.3) we did not
have this problem.

Any clues? Suggestions?

Trevor