ADSM-L

Question on Random Access volume sizing on MVS

1999-03-22 19:13:46
Subject: Question on Random Access volume sizing on MVS
From: "Glass, Peter" <Peter.K.Glass AT NORWEST DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:13:46 -0600
When allocating a Linear VSAM file for ADSM on MVS in Megabytes, does ADSM
consider that 1000 MB = 1Gb, or is it 1024 Mb=1Gb?
Another question:
Is there any special merit in making sure that logical random access volumes
are allocated evenly in round Mb or Gb sizes, or doesn't this matter?
Our storage pools are not currently allocated in round Mb numbers. When
querying random access volumes, or the storage pools in which they reside,
the numbers always end with a decimal point something, such as 1.4 Mb. This
is because they were defined in cylinders,  rather than MB, and the cylinder
count did not cut evenly into Mbs.
Under V2, I recall that random access volumes had a 2Gb max. Does this still
hold true under V3?
Any input I can get on these questions would be valuable.
Thanks, in advance.
Peter Glass
Norwest Services Inc.
Peter.k.glass AT norwest DOT com <Peter.k.glass AT norwest DOT com>