ADSM-L

3995 A63 problem

1999-03-21 23:52:47
Subject: 3995 A63 problem
From: Jie Wu <jwu AT NCTR.FDA DOT GOV>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:52:47 -0600
hi all,

We have a 3995 A63 optical disk library which has been used for a few
years on our ADSM system as an archive storage device without problem.
(The machine is a rs6000 c20 running aix4.1.4). In order to make it Y2K
compliant, we tried to upgrade the OS to 4.3.1. But due to limited disk
space in the roovg, the migration was unsuccessful and we had to
reinstall aix4.1.4, adsm server (level 3.1.2.1), restore adsm database,
etc. On this same machine, we have a 7331 8mm tape and a 7337 dlt
library. They work fine with ADSm after we installed Atape4.1.7.0 tape
driver. But we are having problem to make this jukebox work. We found
one diskette containing the software for this jukebox, which include:
    D3995.diag
    D3995.jbdd
    D3995.odbb
After we installed these file sets, we tried to add the 3995 library as
an ADSM device through SMIT, but we got a message: "SMIT does not have
further entry for this item. Additional software may be required for
this item". Since we bought this box several years ago, we are not sure
if we have all the installation media. If anybody out there is using the
same jukebox with ADSM, could you kindly provide infomation and contact
me?

It is confusing that after we applied the aforementioned filesets,
issued cfgmgr, ran 06Xdiag, we did library verify successfully with the
diag utility, and lsdev -C shows:
    lb1 available 00-04-01-60  #IBM 3995 A63 optical disk library
    op0 available 00-04-01-10 #IBM read/write optical drive

in ADSM>
update library mo-library device=/dev/lb1
        I/O error accessing the mo-library
update drive modrive1 device=/dev/rop1
        successful

We found that in /usr/lpp/D3995diag/jbdd there is a script
"adsm.odmadd". We thought that it might solve our problem by "odmadd
adsm.odmadd". But with smit->device->ADSM devices->library/medium
changer->add a library/medium changer->ibm 3995 A63, we got error:
/etc/methods/cfgsclb not found. I checked what's in /etc/methods. There
are cfgsccd, cfgscdisk, cfgsctape, and many other files. Do I need this
cfgsclb file? Anybody knows which file set contins this file?

I appreciate any advice.

Jie
jwu AT nctr.fda DOT gov
870-543-7163