ADSM-L

Re: AFS or DFS anyone?

1999-03-19 05:02:53
Subject: Re: AFS or DFS anyone?
From: Helmut Richter <Helmut.Richter AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 11:02:53 +0100
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Helmut Richter wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Prather, Wanda wrote:
>
> > So we run the BUTA interface, not by choice, but because that is what works.
> > SO users have no access to ADSM for file-level backup and restore, we have
> > do to it for them.  So they have no access to archiving, so they don't have
> > the problem you describe.
>
> We use BUTA as well, but are perfectly happy with it. We terminated
> file-level backup quite some time ago because it was hardly used: with

I forgot to say that we abandoned file-level backup for a second reason:
it simply did not work. The backup is made on a file server where the
ordinary user is not validated in the /etc/passwd file. So the backup
copies carry not the *name* but the *UID* of the user. Upon retrieval, the
user logs in on a host where he is validated, and accesses ADSM under his
name. He will then be denied access to his files. This problem cannot
occur with archive.

As we abandoned file-level backup anyway for the reasons explained in my
previous letter, we did not try to convince ASDM development that this bug
had to be fixed. I have lost track of it - it may be fixed by now.

Best regards,

Helmut Richter

Dr. Helmut Richter                       Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
Tel:   +49-89-289-28785                  Barer Str. 21
Fax:   +49-89-2809460                    D-80333 Muenchen
Email: Helmut.Richter AT lrz-muenchen DOT de    Germany