ADSM-L

Re: Determining what has been backed up/ADSM NT question

1999-03-17 15:42:07
Subject: Re: Determining what has been backed up/ADSM NT question
From: Anthony Doig <anthony.doig AT OPENTECH.CO DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:42:07 +1300
Thanks for your response Dwight.

This works fine if I want to find out the results of backups over a certain
time period, but I would like to know what was backed up during a particular
**session**, regardless of whether it has been scheduled by ADSM or an
external scheduler.

The "ADSM NT question" thread has discussed looking at the dsmsched.log file
on the client.  This contains stuff like:

02/28/1999 00:42:51 Schedule Name:         @8
02/28/1999 00:42:51 Action:                Incremental
02/28/1999 00:42:51 Objects:               c:\data
.
. ... stuff about what the scheduled event will do ...
.
02/28/1999 00:42:51 --- SCHEDULEREC OBJECT BEGIN @8 02/28/1999 00:34:00
.
. ... details of the running job ...
.
02/28/1999 00:42:56 --- SCHEDULEREC OBJECT END @8 02/28/1999 00:34:00
02/28/1999 00:42:56 --- SCHEDULEREC STATUS BEGIN @8 02/28/1999 00:34:00
.
. ... Backup stats which can also be found on the server,
.     although there is no link/reference to the scheduled
.     job or the client session ....
.
02/28/1999 00:42:56 --- SCHEDULEREC STATUS END @8 02/28/1999 00:34:00
02/28/1999 00:42:56 Scheduled event '@8' completed successfully.

Ideally, I would like to be able to determine (on the server) what
object/files were originally requested to be backed up and the results of
this backup session, whether or not the ADSM scheduler was used.  If I
cannot determine the what the original backup request was, then finding out
what files succeeded or failed during the session would be almost as good.

I can query the activity log and the event log to see what has happened, but
the doesn't seem to be an easy way (apart from just knowing - I want to
script it) to relate the results of a client session (query actlog or=cl)
and an scheduled event.  Also, if I don't use the ADSM scheduler to run
backups then these events (server) and the dsmsched.log (client) won't exist
anyway - correct ??

If I can do all of this at the ADSM server end I can then monitor all of my
backup jobs from the server without having to examine log files at the
client end.  This is easy to do in other product such as (whisper it) Legato
NetWorker.

Cheers,

Anthony