ADSM-L

Re: Oracle Backups using ADSM

1999-03-16 22:56:08
Subject: Re: Oracle Backups using ADSM
From: "Stephen R. Pole" <stephenp AT PRTH.GEOBANK.PGS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:56:08 +0800
Hi Amy from Texaco, this is Stephen from PGS in Australia.

Have you tried IBM ADSM Support (hehhehehe .....  Notice I laugh!)

Like you we are pretty new to this.

Perhaps if I let you know what we do here, that may give you some help if you
haven't already recieved truckloads already. They basically do exactly what you
are doing now. I can't think of any reason why the ADSM server should have
control over the ORACLE server ?? Can anyone else?

Basically we have 2 backup routines running which is pretty much stock standard
in an ADSM & ORACLE enviroment as far as I am aware.

We are neither ADSM gurus or ORACLE DBA's but from what I can tell how we are
setup.

They are started from cron on the client

In our case  ...

1)      HALF HOURLY Oracle on-liine backup
        Backup type: ADSM Archive
        Frequency:       every 30 minutes
        Host    :       Oracle Server
        Backup Domain : All oracle database files and control files in /u0
        Backup Media    3590
        Backup Destination:     3494 ATL
        Backup Retention : 30 days

The oracle online backup uses a Backup log file that is place in a directory
the date/time as an extension. These logs are kept for a month.

These are scripted to do the following

 Online backup of ORACLE tablespaces and control files.

             1. Loop through all databases in /etc/oratab
                2. Check if ARCHIVELOG is enabled in database
                 3. Run sql script to find the names of the tablespaces
                    and dynamicaly create the "begin backup" and
                    "end backup" sql scripts and create a backup copy of
                    the ORACLE database controlfile.
                 4. Run sql script to find the names of all datafiles
                    and controlfiles and build list of files for ADSM
                 5. Run the sql script "begin backup" created in step 1
                    to mark tablespaces with the "begin backup" flag.
                 6. Archive all the control files and the data files.
                 7. Run the sql script created in step 1 to mark tablespaces
                    with the "end backup flag.
                 8. Update the /usr/local/bin/oracle.backup.history file
                    with the result of the backup job.

2)      WEEKLY OFF-LINE BACKUP

        Backup type: ADSM Selective
        Frequency : every Sunday
        Host            Oracle Server
        Backup domain:  /u0 and ORACLE files in /etc and /usr/local/bin
        Backup Media: 3590
        Backup Destination: 3494 ATL
        Rentention: NO LIMIT
        Active Versions : 5

Now, the ORACLE database is stopped during this backup. All files that are part
of the ORACLE implentation are backup up regardless of whether they have
changed or not.

In our case the ORACLE backups are scheduled by the ADSM Scheduler on the
ORACLE data base server

A similar log to the off-line backups log file is also produced.

The ORACLE filesystems to be backed up are hard-coded into our scripts and the
must be updated everytime we make a change to ORACLE database filesystem.

They do the following

Offline backup of ORACLE databases.
1. (Send a message to all connected local users and wait
                    some minutes. ?)

                 2. Stop SQL*Net to prevent access to the database during
                    backup

                 3. Shut down the database

                 4. Use ADSM to backup all the ORACLE filesystem and
                    oracle configuration files in /etc and /usr/local/bin

                 5. Start up the database

                 6. Start up SQL*Net

                 7. (Send a message to the users that where using the
                    database at the time of shutdown and tell them that

Anyway I am sure someone will come up with an answer and we'd be interested as
well

Regards

Stephen

Stephen R Pole
Operations Manager
Petroleum Geo-Services Data Management Australia
Level 4, IBM Centre
1060 Hay Street
West Perth WA 6005
Australia
Phone          +61 8 9320 9080
Direct           +61 8 9320 9081
Fax               +61 8 9320 9090
Mobile           +61 41 239 4435  (041 239 4435)
e-mail            stephenp AT prth.geobank.pgs DOT com

message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and
notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet
email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions,
conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given
or endorsed by my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an
authorized representative independent of this message.